Champagne Shopping Binge

"The champagne shopping binge/ is over/ The check is about to arrive/ and nobody knows how much it will be/ I know I don't give a shit not now" -From "FROM A DISCARDED IMAGE" by Franz Wright

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Mission

Meant to post this last Friday... More to come.

Write again. Capture the memories. Live in NY in such a way that isn’t possible in Omaha. Eat, drink, and be merry.

Went out with L last night. We were going to go to Gramercy Tavern for cocktails but it was crowded and the crowd was too old. Thus began our search to find two empty bar stools, which isn’t easy on Park Ave on a Thursday night. Ended up at the W. Now, I am convinced that the only people who actually go to the Ws are from LA, but as I made out with a minor celebrity there a few weeks ago (which really only proves my point) I was willing to give it another go.

Ordered a bottle of rose. Sadly, rose season seems to be over. It was the perfect beverage for the Great Lobster Roll Challenge of Summer 2004 (winner: Mary’s Fish Camp solely based on food, Mermaid Inn for the overall experience) but now that NY is cold and rainy it becomes very obvious that most rose is merely pink wine. And not very good wine at that. But by the second bottle who really cares? Also had an order of fried calamari. I am embarrassed to admit that I actually liked the food at a W, but it was seriously delish. (Can I blame it on that second bottle of wine?) Mixed with slices of fried jalapeño, brilliant. At least I was still able to tell at that point that the sauce was seriously bad, can I keep my status as a culinista???

Off to grab another drink (as we clearly needed one by then) at Brother Jimmy’s. Scoff if you will; I love that place. There’s no pretension, the drinks are cheap, and they have the best nachos in the city. LOVE. It’s my own personal Cheers.

My headache is finally subsiding, just in time to catch a plane tonight to DC to see H. Wine and cheese tonight, tomorrow we’re off to find Trouble. Dinner at some tapas place, then drinks at the Ritz, and then off to pick up 19 year old boys… Can’t wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home